Friday, January 27, 2006

Allergies

What symptoms should you be looking for to check if your dog has a wheat allergy:

I have indicated what symptoms Mya has had.

Itchy skin (yes)
Shaking of the head (yes)
Ear inflammation (yes)
Licking front paws (yes)
Rubbing face on carpet (no)
Vomiting (yes, bile sometimes)
Diarrhoea (no)
Flatulence (yes)
Sneezing (yes)
Asthma like symptoms (no)
Anal itching (no)
Behavioural changes (no)
Seizures (no)


I know this isn't scientific but I had to figure out what Mya was reacting to. First I took out chicken from her diet, no big change noticed. Then I removed wheat from her diet, within weeks, she was doing so much better. No more green guck coming from her eyes, ear infection gone, no more yeast infection or discharge and the itching stopped, well, until she got fleas.

So, after going through so many different foods, I found that Solid Gold lamb and rice works well. In between that I tried Salmon food, beef etc, but those didn't work well. Also, you have to watch out that the food doesn't contain chicken fat or chicken liver. Right now, I'm trying Holistic Blend, lamb and rice. It's only been a week so I can't really notice a big change yet, but I'll let you know. It's a little cheaper than some of the other holistic blends, so I thought I would give it a try.


No comments: