Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.



Do you like the title? I thought it was very fitting for what I'm about to write about. That quote wasn't from me by the way, it was made by someone named Jack London.

Dog charities and dog events are something that are very close to my heart. Before I bought my first Giant Schnauzer named Jasper, I had never heard of a Giant Schnauzer before. Like many people, I thought minis were the only size. But I knew I wanted a dog that was big enough to give me a feeling of security and one that could be a great friend. I really wasn't prepared at all for what comes along with the Giant. Although everyone has a favorite breed and thinks one breed is smarter than the other, I do have to say that Giants have to be in the top 10 for intelligence. I didn't know that Jasper would constantly try to outwit me or trick me. I could tell when she was scheming and learned what that crazy look in her eyes meant! My second Giant is Mya. She's not a smart as Jasper (sorry Mya!) but I couldn't have asked for a better behaved Giant, companion for my son, protector and friend!
Anyway, back to the subject...... I am involved in a charity called Giant Schnauzer Assistance Canada. What do we do? Well, we raise money and if a Giant needs expensive medical attention, we try to help the owner with the vet bills. I know myself that when my dog is sick, I will authorize the vet to do almost anything to make them better (often forgetting that I'm not a millionaire). Then the bill comes! I guess you are really never prepared for how much vetting a sick dog costs. If we can ease the financial burden in some way so that a Giant can have a better chance at a healthy life, then we have done what we intended to do. Here's the link to our annual fundraiser: http://grandslam2007.tripod.com/
I also volunteer for agility events. I like to sit in the ring and fix the poles as they get knocked over. What a great opportunity for front row seats to watch some amazing athletes (I mean the dogs not the people...lol). This years Canadian National Championships are in Halton Hills Ontario. Want to volunteer with me? Here's their link: http://www.sitekreator.com/2007AACNationals/main_page.html

I also ran across another charity that I didn't know about until a few weeks ago. It's called Paws for Charity. It is a collaborative effort of four female entrepreneurs, combining their talents in design, photography & baking, to raise funds for chosen charities. They are helping raise funds in the fight against breast cancer. Here's their blog: http://www.pawsforcharity.blogspot.com/ 2 of these companies have donated products to our Giant Schnauzer Grand Slam!

No comments: