Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Feeding a Giant Schnauzer can cost a lot of money. Before I switched Mya to raw food, she was eating about 6 cups of dry kibble. Her bag of food was about $70 and it lasted a month.

With her allergies, I cut out kibble and switched to raw. I first tried the raw meat with veggies and oatmeal, rice etc. But after I did more reading on the subject, I decided to go to meat only. I am lucky that my parents own a grocery store with a butcher shop. They give me the meat that they would otherwise throw out because it is getting close to the expiry date. I don't get it all as I don't get up there every month. It's a 4 hour drive. However, what I do get really helps cut the costs. The only thing I have to buy is the liver to add to her meat. I also buy chicken legs, necks, turkey legs, lamb ribs, fish and almost anything I can find on sale or reduced. She does get bones everyday (in the chicken legs, lamb ribs etc)
Here is a video of what I use to make her mixture. I was able to get 14 1lb bags made today. She eats 2lbs of food a day.


No comments: