Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Grapes of Wrath

Why are grapes harmful?
"As far as grapes and raisins go, no one is sure why they're harmful. It's been confirmed that even grapes grown without fertilizers or pesticides can be toxic to dogs. But not to every dog, and not every time. It's also not known whether small amounts eaten over a long time period could have a cumulative effect.
What we do know is that the end result in nearly all reported cases of grape or raisin toxicity is acute kidney failure. (The term "acute" means that the condition is severe and comes on quickly.) The dog ultimately can't produce urine, which means they can't filter toxins out of their systems -- a process essential to life."
(from EZine articles)
So I went on a mission to get the grapes out of our yard so that Mya wouldn't get sick if she decided to eat them. I started pulling vines but quickly figured out that this was going to be a bigger job then I expected. I managed to cut all the trunks on my side, which will kill all the vines. I also had to get the vines down that already had ripe grapes on them. That was the hard part. The ladder let me reach quite a few, but others I had to just reach and pull. While standing on the ground, pulling as hard as I could, the vine let go and I landed on my rear!!! I thought it was funny, and I'm sure my neighbours thought so too! I also got a branch in my eye, and I now have a terrible eye ache. But the job is now done. I will have to monitor the yard and make sure no grapes from the neighbours side somehow land on my side.


1. This is a picture of the vines on the other side of the fence.
2. Grape vines on the ground after I cut them down
3. The vines were strangling our other trees.


4. They are tiny, but there are quite a bit of them.


5. Another close up
6. Thickness of the trees/vines

7. More vines



8. Picture of the grape vines twisted around another tree.



9. My neighbours must watch me and think I'm crazy.



No comments: